Skip to main content

Dates are Great


                Have you ever wondered how dating used to be different compared to today? I decided to call my mom and ask her how she has seen dating change just in her lifetime. She talked about how when she was my age, she would go on more one on one dates. She sees lots of people today going on group dates when they should be paring off.
                She also talked about how the boys that asked her out were more assertive it was very clear when you were going on a date. Today people often “hang out” and they don’t call it a date. She also mentioned that if a guy liked you, he asked you out, and then you eventually started to date. In society today you get your friends together and plan something to invite the boy you like to, and then your friends try to talk to him and suggest to him that he should ask you out. It is a more complicated process than it used to be.
                The most interesting thing to me that she talked about was the fact that relationships today get physical a lot quicker than they used to. This made me think of the RAM model.
                In the RAM model a healthy relationship has all of the levels in a downward diagonal. You get to know a person really well and then trust them. Relying on them, commitment, and physical touch come after. If one of these is very high, then the relationship isn’t in balance and can be unhealthy. I found it interesting that just in my mom’s lifetime she was able to notice this shift or change that has occurred. 
                                                                                http://jcwillhite.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-relationship-attachment-model-ram.html

                Everyone knows that dating leads to courtship which then leads to engagement and then leads to marriage. Is this the cycle we follow today?
Dating has been redefined. When I was in high school people considered themselves dating but they never went on dates. They would spend time together in at school and sometimes outside of school but then wouldn’t go out on dates together.
Courtship has also been redefined. Many people today are exclusive, but they live together. This didn’t used to be the case. It used to be that you lived together once you got married. People wait longer to get engaged and married than they used to. Some people date for 10 or more years before they get married.
The world we live in today is much more different than the way things used to be. I think each of us can decide for ourselves if we think the changes in society are good or bad. I personally think that dating should shift to the way that it used to be.
Of course, this is easier said than done. We can’t change everyone’s attitudes all overnight. We can, however, change the way we act and the way we do things. I have sat in so many meetings where men are told to ask more girls on dates and to take initiative. I have known many girls who are tired of waiting around for guys to ask them out so they ask them out. I don’t think this is wrong, but I also don’t agree that it is their responsibility.
The way I see it is this, guys have a responsibility to ask girls on dates. Dating is to get to know people and to figure out what qualities you like in a person and what you don’t. When you find someone who has a lot of those qualities you like you start courting, or dating exclusively, and then see if that leads to engagement and marriage. If not, then you go back to dating and getting to know people who have qualities you like.
I understand it is easier said than done, but if we don’t even take baby steps towards change, we can only expect it to get worse instead of better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Importance of Family

The family is the most important social unit in society. There is teaching, learning and growing in the family.  Here are some great quotes about the family and the importance of them.  1. “Indeed, nothing is more critically connected to happiness—both our own and that of our children—than how well we love and support one another within the family.” —M. Russell Ballard 2. “The family is the most important organization in time or in eternity. Our purpose in life is to create for ourselves eternal family units.” —Joseph Fielding Smith 3. “The family is one of God’s greatest fortresses against the evils of our day. Help keep your family strong and close and worthy of our Father in Heaven’s blessings. As you do, you will receive faith and strength which will bless your lives forever.” —Ezra Taft Benson 4. “The key to strengthening our families is having the Spirit of the Lord come into our homes. The goal of our families is to be on the strait and narrow path.” —R...

Parenting

“Purposes of parenting are to protect and prepare a child to survive and thrive in the world we all live in.” -M.P. We may not all become parents in this life, but we will likely all be given an opportunity to be an important adult figure in a child’s life, and even though we aren’t their parent doesn’t mean that we can’t influence their lives for good. I personally believe that parenting has changed and shifted over the years. I look at the way my parents grew up and it is very different than the way we grew up. My parents played outside more and they have many memories that they can recall of spending time with cousins and friends. Although many children today may be spending time with friends and family as well, I worry that they aren’t making meaningful memories. They are playing video games or playing on an ipad. Playing outside is huge especially for young children. There are so many life lessons and skills that can be learned as children go outside and play with one ...

Stress

Stress can be a positive thing to motivate us, or it can cause damage in our lives or in the life of others. I watched a video once that said if we aren’t experiencing some form of stress every single minute of every single day, then we would be dead. So, stress isn’t always all that bad, but it is how we handle and deal with that stress that is important. Stress that occurs in family can either bring the family together or it can tear them apart. In my own family I have seen this happen both ways. When I was really young my dad’s mom passed away. I have pictures with her and my parents can tell me stories of her playing with me, but I have no memory of her. I know that really hurts my dad that I’m not able to remember her. My dad’s best friend was his mom. My dad adored her and it tore him up when she was no longer with us. He was young and I don’t know if anyone is ever really prepared to lose a parent. My dad started to distance himself from everyone. He worked a lot mor...